Sick Sucks


I have so much respect [read: awe] for those women who balance toddlers, home life, work, and everything else they do as Supermoms — plus blogging.

When I first began blogging, I was so overzealous about posting – even though my parents and Ian were my only readers – that I’d have posts lined up for days, set to be displayed when the clock struck twelve. I still have a lot I’d like to write about, but sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the day. And honestly, sometimes there are things I’d much rather be doing than interacting with my computer.

Here’s to you bloggers out there who have interesting enough lives and careers to post multiple times per day, every single day. My hat’s off to you, because that’s just not me. This week has been busy, busy, busy, which is why I’m not surprised…

that I’m sick.

Don’t fret, Mom. I think it may be allergies. Whatever it is, it hit me like a friggin’ freight train.

It started with a sore throat yesterday morning, which I assumed was either due to drainage (from sleeping on sky-high pillows) or from a lack of quality sleep. Within hours, I was miserable. My head was pounding, my appetite was non-existent (which did not bode well for the slice of homemade veggie pizza, Habanero BBQ almonds, Chobani Bite, or green pepper sticks and baby carrots with hummus I had brought for lunch… all I wanted was the cheese stick and the Wheat Thins), my throat felt like someone had massaged it with sandpaper, and I felt exhausted after 7 hours of sleep. Yet, I needed to carry on through five hours at Practicum, study, and do 3 loads of laundry.

The minutes absolutely draaaaagged at Practicum, and I could feel myself getting worse. I stopped at CVS on my way home and beelined for the Cough/Cold aisle. I found the biggest package of Halls cough drops available, and I snagged some store-brand Dayquil. I’m not a big fan of the “‘quil” family, but I knew I would need something.

The second I got home, I kicked off my shoes and buried myself under a blanket on the couch. I could have easily slept until this morning, but I let myself shut out the world for 45 minutes. I felt surprisingly better when I woke up, but it was a short-lived victory.

I somehow managed to get a few hours of studying done before I showered and collapsed into bed. At 9:00. That may seem like a normal bedtime for some of you, but I’m easily awake until 11 most nights. I didn’t even eat dinner. Unless you count the 100-calorie Greek froyo I savored between lunch and bedtime in hopes of mending my raw throat. Of course, with a belly full of honey lemon cough drops, mint Chloraseptic, and berry Zzzz-Quil, I didn’t have much appetite for leftover Mexican, anyway.

I’m trying every trick in the book – gargling with salt water, sucking down cough drops, guzzling water and natural sources of vitamin C, using Chloraseptic as needed, sipping hot tea with honey every chance I get, and eating well whenever I have a smidgen of an appetite so my body can fight off whatever this is. (You would not believe how nasty hummus tastes when your sinuses are clogged.) I’m also giving my body a break from the gym, even though I’m supposed to be in training mode for my upcoming 10k next month and 5k in May. I surrender: what I need right now is rest.

Ain’t nobody got time for this.

It’s going to be a busy and (presumably) fun-filled Easter weekend, so I need this plague to disappear ASAP. Send any cold/sinus/allergy remedies my way!

On that note, it’s naptime…

[Edited to add: Though I sacrificed a week of exercise for couch time, I traveled 46.3 miles in the month of March. I “should have” traveled 496.36 miles by the end of March, but I have traveled 138.23 miles in 2013. For comparison’s sake, last March I traveled 44.37 miles. Always improving!]


One response »

  1. I live by Sudafed and Claritin (or the equivalent Walmart brand of both). Yep, it sucks, but ’tis the season. Oh, and chicken soup. Does wonders for your throat and sinuses. A little pampering from Mom never hurts either.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s